- Professional Learning
- Full Programme Courses
- Secondary Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT) Programme 2020-2021
Secondary Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT) Programme 2020-2021
Pathfinder has a history of providing outstanding CPD across the city, given its commitment to creating and supporting the very best teachers in York schools and beyond. This aim begins with exceptional provision for NQTs, as they begin their career in teaching.
All secondary school NQTs are invited to pursue Pathfinder’s city-wide NQT programme, which includes a variety of training sessions, designed to help NQTs become outstanding teachers. This course supports the key aims of the new Early Careers Framework (which will be rolled out nationally in 2021), which aims to support Early Career Teachers in the following five key areas:
Behaviour / Professional Behaviour / Instruction and Pedagogy / Curriculum / Assessment
Our excellent, well-established and highly rated NQT programme will help Early Career Teachers to:
- Develop confidence in their teaching and understand what support is available to them, as well as how they can access this.
- Make the most of their NQT year, ensuring that both they and the pupils they teach have the best possible experience.
- Understand the different aspects of teaching in greater depth, so they have a broader and more insightful understanding of what this exciting profession involves, as well as what is expected of teachers throughout their career.
- Make informed decisions, based on evidence, to help them develop and improve their teaching practice as they progress through their career.
What the programme involves:
- A welcome event for Newly Qualified Teachers, where they can meet with the leader of the Pathfinder NQT Programme and Mike Jory, who is the city’s School Effectiveness and Achievement Advisor, and the person responsible for the statutory induction of NQTs.
- Three Twilight Sessions that will take place after school at Pathfinder (or by Zoom in Autumn Term 1).
- A full day session covering two modules in January 2021, where NQTs can once again meet and collaborate with other NQTs from across the city.
- Support from other Early Career Teachers across the city, along with well-established and experienced teachers, who have an excellent track record.
- A welcome event for Mentors, where they can receive advice and guidance about what their role entails and how best to support NQTs in the first year of their teaching career. (NB. This event for Mentors is free, where NQTs are registered with CYC)
14th, 15th & 16th September 2020
|Induction for Mentors/Tutors *||22nd September 2020||4.00-5.00pm|
|Behaviour||24th September 2020
|Professional Behaviours||12th November 2020||4.30-6.30pm|
|Instruction / Curriculum||4th January 2021||9.30am-4.30pm|
|Assessment||2nd March 2021||4.30-6.30pm|
* Mentor/Tutor sessions to be booked separately below
Download the full course flyer here: Secondary-NQT-Programme-2020-2021-1.pdf